Chicken Jumpers for Winter!
Every chicken lady (or man!) knows that chooks are some of the cutest, cuddliest, sweetest little creatures on the face of the planet. It’s hard to look at a little Silkie chicken or a fluffy ISA Brown and not melt a little bit inside. But, do you know what’s even cuter than any kind of chicken breed you can imagine…? CHICKENS WEARING JUMPERS! Yes!
The fabulous thing about chicken jumpers is that you can make them yourself. Get out your knitting needles ready or print this article off and give it to your granny, because after looking at these photos you are going to be overwhelmed with the desire to dress your girls up!
Here is a handy knitting pattern that will help you create fabulous and funky jumpers for your flock!
What You’ll Need:
- Double knitting yarn (100g makes approximately 3 jumpers).
- 2 buttons each jumper
- A pair No 8 (4mm) knitting needles
- 4mm crochet hook (optional)
- Jumper knitted in stocking stitch with garter stitch borders
How To Do It:
- Cast on 41 sts.
- Knit 4 rows straight.
- Tabs and buttonholes.
- Cast on 10sts @ beginning of row. K14. P to last 4 sts. K4.
- Cast on 10sts @ beginning of row. K to end
- (K2. yf. K2tog) 3 times. K2. P33. K14.
- (K2, yf. K2tog) 3 times. K to end.
- Cast off 10sts. K3. P33. K14.
- Cast off 10sts.K3. K2tog. K to last 6 sts K2tog. K4.
- Dec. I st at each end on every following 6th row until 25 sts remain, keeping edges in garter stitch.
- Divide for neck.
- Work 11 sts. Cast off 3 sts work to end and complete this half first.
- K to end
- P1. P2tog twice P2. K4.
- K to end
- P1. P2tog. P2. K4.
- K4. K2tog. K2.Work next 4 rows straight.
- P2. Inc. in next st. K4.
- K6. Inc. in next st. K1.
- P1. Inc. in next 2sts P2. K4.
- K to end.
- P7. K4.
- Put these 11 sts onto holding pin. Break yarn and rejoin to other side of neck.
- Work to match, reversing shaping and ending at wing hole edge. That’s row 13.
- Next row K4. P7. Cast on 3sts then from the sts on holding pin P7.K4.
- Now K4. Inc. into next st. K to last 5sts. Inc. in next st. K4
- Inc. I st at each end of following 6th row until there are 41sts on needle.
- Work 6 rows keeping to pattern
- Knit 4 rows.
- Cast off.
- Sew on buttons.
- Work 1 row double crochet round neck edge if desired.